World

Tulsi Gabbard resigns as US intelligence chief after clash over Iran

Tulsi Gabbard is stepping down as the United States’ director of national intelligence, according to Fox News, after informing President Donald Trump during a meeting in the Oval Office.

In her resignation letter, Gabbard said she is “deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me” and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the past year and a half.

“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026,” she wrote, saying her husband, Abraham, has been diagnosed with “an extremely rare form of bone cancer.”

Gabbard’s departure follows months of tension over Iran. Earlier this year, she told Congress that Tehran had made “no efforts” to rebuild its nuclear programme after last year’s June strikes, undercutting Trump’s justification for attacking Iran in February.

She also refused to say Iran posed an imminent threat to the US at the time of the attacks.