Russia has targeted eight regions of Ukraine in its latest night-time drone and missile barrage, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said.
Local authorities reported that the strikes injured more than two dozen civilians, including three children.
Russian forces fired 524 attack drones and 22 ballistic and cruise missiles, Mr Zelensky said. Dnipro and the surrounding central region of Ukraine bore the brunt of the attack.
The barrage continued a recent spiral of long-range strikes that have grown in scale following a May 9-11 ceasefire that US president Donald Trump said he asked Mr Zelensky and Russian president Vladimir Putin to observe, but which had little impact.
Russia’s overnight attack on Dnipro and the region lasted more than six hours. A missile strike damaged an apartment block, with other civilian infrastructure also heavily hit. The attack also targeted energy facilities and residential buildings across the region. Drones struck… pic.twitter.com/rCr0eTetVp
— Volodymyr Zelenskyy / Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) May 18, 2026
There is no sign a peace deal is taking shape despite US diplomatic efforts to end Russia’s invasion.
Russia hammered Ukraine over several days last week, flattening a Kyiv apartment building where 24 people died.
One of Ukraine’s largest drone strikes on Russia killed at least four people, including three near Moscow, and wounded a dozen others, authorities said.
In more than four years of war, Ukraine has built up its own long-range capabilities. It has been hitting oil facilities that are one of the Russian economy’s mainstays as well as other targets deep inside Russia, making the Russian public take notice.
That has increased the pressure on Mr Putin, whose army is struggling to make progress on the battlefield and who claimed earlier this month that the war is approaching its end.
On Sunday, the Russian defence ministry said that more than 1,000 drones had been shot down or jammed in the previous 24 hours, with around 80 on their way to Moscow.
Mr Zelensky claimed a significant shift is taking place.
“Our long-range capabilities are significantly changing the situation — and, more broadly, the world’s perception of Russia’s war,” Mr Zelensky said on X late Sunday.
“Many partners are now signalling that they see what is happening and how everything has changed — both in attitudes toward this war and in the reachability of Russian targets on Russian territory.”
Mr Putin is due to meet with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing this week. Cooperation between the two countries has deepened in recent years as many Western countries have sought to isolate the Russian leader.
Mr Zelensky said that the Dnipropetrovsk region bombardment lasted six hours and hit energy facilities and residential buildings. At least 26 people, including two children, were wounded in the region, Ukraine’s emergency service said.
Damage was also reported in Ukraine’s Odesa, Chernihiv and Zaporizhzhia regions.
Meanwhile, Russia’s defence ministry said that air defences downed 50 Ukrainian drones from late Sunday through early Monday.

