Celtic last night issued an apology to Hearts for the shameful scenes which marred the end of Saturday’s title decider at Parkhead.
Two late goals from Daizen Maeda and Callum Osmand saw Celtic crowned champions in highly dramatic and controversial fashion.
After Osmand ran the length of the field to score deep into stoppage-time, hordes of Celtic fans invaded the pitch and accosted the Hearts players.
Police Scotland have confirmed that they are now in dialogue with Hearts to establish whether any of their players were assaulted during the chaos.
After the pitch invasion and bedlam around the stadium which saw the Hearts team bus ushered away via a police escort, there was further violence and disorder across Glasgow city centre.
Derek McInnes and his players, who had to exit the stadium still wearing their team kits, did not have the chance to stay and applaud their own supporters inside the stadium.
Celtic have apologised to Hearts’ players and staff for the way events transpired on Saturday
Admitting there was no justification for the behaviour of some supporters, a Celtic statement read: ‘Everyone at the club congratulates Martin (O’Neill), our players and all our staff on delivering the club’s 56th Scottish league title and a thrilling climax to the season backed by a magnificent support.
‘We thank Celtic fans for everything they have done to help the team over the line.
‘The club regrets that our victory over Hearts was followed by a number of individuals entering the field of play.
‘We again emphasise that there is no justification for this behaviour which, for the vast majority of Celtic supporters, only detracts from the joy of such occasions.
‘Celtic will co-operate fully with any investigation and with the SPFL in their own processes.
‘We also apologise to Hearts for the situation encountered by their players and staff at the conclusion of the game, and for the fact that these events prevented them from saluting their own supporters at the end of an enthralling campaign, to which they have contributed so much.’
Earlier in the day, the SPFL insisted that the final whistle WAS blown in Celtic’s 3-1 victory over Hearts — dismissing claims that the match had been abandoned prematurely.
There were still around 30 seconds to play, plus any additional time for stoppages, when Osmand found the net with what proved to be the last kick of the game.
In his post-match comments, Celtic boss Martin O’Neill confirmed that the fourth official had told him there was still around a minute left to play.
But the match was brought to a halt, despite no one inside the stadium having heard referee Don Robertson blow the final whistle.

The SPFL have confirmed that referee Don Robertson signalled an end to the match
In a statement, the SPFL said yesterday: ‘Firstly, we send our congratulations to Celtic on winning the William Hill Premiership in the most exciting of circumstances and send our commiserations to everyone at Heart of Midlothian following an incredible campaign.
‘We would also like to thank the referee and his excellent team of match officials for their cool heads on such a dramatic day.
‘Given the speculation about the conclusion of the game, we would like to make clear that, prior to awarding the trophy, we were informed by the match referee that the match had ended and had not been abandoned.
‘Yesterday’s match showed off the very best of the Scottish game and the drama and excitement that it is rightly famed for. The eyes of the world were on Glasgow and the climax of the Premiership, with millions of viewers watching the match on Sky Sports and across the globe.
‘However, we utterly condemn the scenes which saw a number of Celtic supporters encroach onto the field of play.
‘We await the report of our match delegate regarding any specific incidents that took place but, regardless, supporters entering the field of play in any circumstances is wholly unacceptable and puts those participating and working at a match at risk.
‘We note that entering the pitch in England and Wales has been a criminal offence since 1991. We urge anyone with information about any alleged criminal activity to contact Police Scotland.’
Thousands of Celtic fans once again gathered in the Trongate area of Glasgow city centre and trashed the place as they clashed with police officers.
Police Scotland confirmed that four arrests were made at the stadium, with a further ten being made around the Trongate area.
They vowed to take robust and swift action, but demanded Celtic and the football authorities step up and show leadership to tackle the issue.

Thousands of Celtic fans gathered in Trongate following the full-time whistle to celebrate
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Sutherland said: ‘The large majority of people at the Trongate yesterday were in a celebratory mood and simply wanted to support the victory of their team.
‘However, we once again saw significant disorder and anti-social behaviour when police responded to a medical emergency within the crowd.
‘A man was found unresponsive after taking unwell and continues to receive treatment in hospital. While dealing with this, our officers came under sustained attack from missiles and bottles, which resulted in two of them being seriously injured.
‘I cannot condemn this behaviour strongly enough. It is completely unacceptable.
‘Our officers must be kept safe when doing their job. They acted bravely, courageously and with the highest degree of professionalism throughout the event.
‘They took decisive action, which was entirely appropriate, to clear those intent on violence and disorder, and make arrests.
‘The minority of individuals involved will face the most robust action from Police Scotland and partners as we move forward. If you were involved in criminality, expect us to be knocking at your door.
‘Once again, Police Scotland has been left holding the responsibility and accountability for supporters away from the stadium at the Trongate. We have strong and positive relationships with Celtic Football Club and Glasgow City Council on a day-to-day basis to keep people safe, but on this particular issue more must be done.
‘Celtic FC and football authorities, working with local authorities and Police Scotland, must take greater responsibility. This cannot happen again at any future celebrations.
‘We spoke to Hearts yesterday. We’re following that up to understand if any player was assaulted.

A number of arrests were made, with two officers injured after being attacked by missiles
‘If any player, or indeed any member of the public, has been assaulted on that pitch, and there is criminality, we will take robust and swift action.
‘The club (Celtic) are responsible for safety and security and the planning of the stadium. Police provide a supporting role in that to look at any criminality, any policing response that is required, and we are continuing to do that.
‘So, if there is any criminality, whether that be the allegations of assault against Hearts players or anything else, then our post investigation will pick that up, and we will take the most robust action possible.’
A Scottish Government spokesperson said: ‘The disgraceful scenes of violence and disorder that took place in Glasgow are completely unacceptable and we strongly condemn all abusive and antisocial behaviour.
‘Police Scotland has the powers to deal robustly with football-related disorder and we fully support officers to respond appropriately and protect the public.
‘The Scottish Government has worked with partners including football authorities, fans representatives, local authorities and others on what more can be done to tackle this behaviour and recently closed a consultation on whether the law on Football Banning Orders should be updated to help tackle various forms of football-related disorder.’

