Derek McInnes insists he has no concerns over Lawrence Shankland’s early-season form – and is confident he will come good in a Rangers jersey.
Shankland joined Rangers at the start of the summer prior to heading off to the World Cup with Scotland and was then appointed club captain by McInnes when he became Ibrox boss.
The 31-year-old striker has scored only one goal in five matches thus far, which came in the Europa League exit to Jagiellonia Bialystok last week.
Some critics have questioned Shankland’s contribution thus far and also the fact that he has not appeared to be an automatic first-pick for McInnes.
But the Rangers manager, whose side face Jablonec at Ibrox on Thursday evening in a UEFA Conference League qualifier, insists he has no concerns over Shankland and still has full belief that the goals will come.
Lawrence Shankland has scored just one goal since signing for Rangers
‘When you have a player like Lawrence, who knows his way around the penalty box and how to score goals, I do not worry too much about it,’ said McInnes.
‘He is too good not to score regularly. He has consistently shown that over a period of time in the Premier League, with 20-odd goals a season at Hearts.
‘Sometimes people can overemphasise these things. For me, it is a case of letting him play his natural game.
‘The best strikers have that instinctive side to their game, where everything looks natural and seamless. I have no doubt he will do well here.’
Shankland was benched for the game against Jagiellonia in Poland, eventually coming on for the final five minutes.
He was also a substitute in the 5-1 victory over St Mirren last weekend in the Premier Sports Cup, with some fans of the belief that he needs a run of games to get fully up to speed.
Indeed, some have even questioned the wisdom of giving the armband to a player who may not always be a guaranteed first-choice in the starting XI.

Rangers boss McInnes has backed Shankland to show his quality at Ibrox
‘I said that when I spoke to Lawrence – being captain does not guarantee anything, and he accepted that,’ said McInnes when asked about the issue.
‘He is not going to stamp his feet about it. Somebody has to be club captain and, having worked with Lawrence before, he is a brilliant captain and a brilliant boy. He has a lot to offer.
‘People can maybe look too much into it. You want your captain to have a big influence on and off the pitch, and I believe Lawrence will have that.
‘For me, it is a non-question, although I understand why people might see more in it.’
Rangers have tied up the season-long loan signing of Serbian right-back Kosta Nedeljkovic from Aston Villa.
The deal for the 20-year-old includes a conditional obligation to buy, based on appearances, for £4million next summer.
Nedeljkovic will go straight into the squad for Thursday’s clash with Jablonec along with fellow new recruit James Penrice.
Elsewhere, the club are still targeting a new striker and two new wingers over the final fortnight of the transfer window.
‘The priorities are at the top end of the pitch,’ added McInnes. ‘We need to bring players in there.
‘That is not to say we would not look elsewhere, but where we are at the minute, I hope the next signing is someone in the forward areas. That would be the priority.
‘I just want a winger of the right level at the minute. If he plays off the left or the right, that will do me. If he can play on both sides, even better.
‘We have [Djeidi] Gassama and Findlay [Curtis], who are capable of good moments, and Daisuke [Yokota] will improve as we go along.

Derek McInnes poses with new loan signing Kosta Nedeljkovic
‘We have players who can play in those positions, but we see the importance of having an attacking threat at Rangers.
Everyone is trying to get those players in. Whoever we bring in, I believe, will give us a real dose of quality.
‘We are all working closely together to bring in the best option – and not just any option. We are trying to be specific about what we need.
‘As I’ve said, No 9s are normally difficult to sign. It was not an area we were initially looking to address, but the injury to Youssef [Chermiti] has changed that.
‘Every day, the staff are actively trying to source good options and see whether we can bring one in.
‘There has been plenty of work done and we are poring over different strikers. Hopefully, we can land on the one we want and get him here quickly.’
Nedeljkovic, a 20-year-old Serbia international, will contend with Dujon Sterling and Ross McCrorie for the right-back position.
The move is subject to international clearance and the former Red Star Belgrade player, who had a loan spell at German club RB Leipzig, told the Ibrox club’s official website: ‘I am very excited. Rangers is such a big club, a big family, and I am excited to join and help the team have success together.
‘For me, it was an easy decision after meeting with the coach; I only wanted Rangers.
‘It is a big opportunity and a big responsibility.
‘I always try to be positive and work hard so I am ready to help the team.”
Speaking ahead of the first leg of the UEFA Conference League play-off tie against Czech side Jablonec at Ibrox on Thursday, McInnes said: ‘Kosta is a talented young player who we are really pleased to bring to the club.
‘He has already gained some valuable experience at a high level in England and Germany, as well as representing Serbia internationally.
‘Kosta is an athletic and energetic full-back who is keen to get forward, but he also has a real desire to defend and compete, and he will further strengthen a key area for us.
‘I look forward to welcoming Kosta to Rangers, and working with him moving forward.’

