The US is threatening to revoke the visas of the Palestinian delegation to the United Nations unless the Palestinian ambassador to the UN, Riyad Mansour, withdraws his candidacy for vice president of the UN General Assembly, NPR reported on Thursday.
A US State Department cable obtained by the publication instructed US diplomats in Jerusalem on Tuesday to pressure Palestinian officials this week to withdraw their bid ahead of 2 June elections for one of the assembly’s 21 vice president posts.
The cable accused Riyad Mansour of having a history of “accusing Israel of genocide,” and claimed that his candidacy “fuels tension” and undermines President Trump’s plans for Gaza.
“A bully pulpit for Mansour would not improve the lives of Palestinians and would significantly damage U.S. relations with the PA [Palestinian Authority]. Congress will take it extremely seriously,” the cable said.
In February, Mansour withdrew his candidacy for the presidency of the UN General Assembly after US lobbying, according to the US cable.
Visa denial to Palestinian officials ahead of 2025 General Assembly
CLICK FOLLOW: TO FOLLOW US
Sign up to get the latest insights and analysis on
Israel-Palestine, alongside Turkey Unpacked and other eSPORTY
The US last year refused visas to Palestine’s President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other senior Palestinian aides for the UN General Assembly in New York.
The decision came after several Western countries announced plans to recognise a Palestinian state during the annual gathering, while the US said its decision was based on the PA’s support for the war crimes and genocide cases against Israel at the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court.
Abbas’ office reacted to the decision, saying that it violated the UN “headquarters agreement”, which requires the US, as host of the UN in New York, not to refuse visas for officials travelling to the world body for the General Assembly.
