World

Iranian parliament speaker warns of “strong response” to any new US attack

Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Wednesday that the United States is seeking to launch a new war and force Iran into surrender, following renewed threats by US President Donald Trump to carry out military strikes if no agreement is reached.

Ghalibaf warned that Tehran is preparing a “strong response” to any future attack similar to the strikes launched by the United States and Israel during the war that began on 28 February.

In an audio message carried by Iranian media, Ghalibaf said: “The enemy’s actions, both overt and covert, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war.”

He added that close monitoring of political developments in the United States suggested Washington still hoped for “the surrender of the Iranian nation.”

The remarks came as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz despite ongoing diplomatic efforts reportedly mediated by Pakistan to prevent renewed fighting and reach a settlement.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia urged Iran to use what it described as the current diplomatic opportunity to avoid further escalation. Saudi officials also thanked Trump for providing “an additional opportunity” to reach an agreement to end the conflict, whose military and economic consequences have spread across the Gulf region and global markets.

Ghalibaf, who previously led Iran’s delegation during talks with Washington in Islamabad last month, insisted that Iran would respond forcefully to any renewed military action.

Trump, for his part, reiterated on Tuesday that Washington still “holds the initiative” and claimed that Tehran is seeking an end to the war