World

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard says it foiled alleged plot to transfer US weapons to armed groups

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps announced on Monday that it had thwarted what it described as a plot by armed groups based in northern Iraq to smuggle new American weapons into Iran.

In a statement, the Revolutionary Guard said it carried out operations in the city of Baneh in Kurdistan province, targeting what it called “counter-revolutionary groups” allegedly operating on behalf of the United States and Israel.

According to the statement, Iranian forces seized large quantities of weapons and ammunition that were allegedly intended for transfer across the border into Iran.

The Guard said the groups had planned to smuggle a shipment of newly supplied US weapons and ammunition into the country, adding that the operation was foiled through what it described as extensive intelligence work involving the identification and arrest of alleged collaborators inside Iran.

The Revolutionary Guard also announced separate security operations in the provinces of Qazvin, Kerman and Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari.

In Qazvin, authorities said two alleged Israeli spies were arrested and an arms distribution network dismantled. Officials also reported the discovery of 1,400 tonnes of petrochemical raw materials allegedly hidden to disrupt domestic markets.

In Kerman province, the Guard said eight individuals accused of attacking security forces, burning government buildings in Sirjan and communicating with foreign entities had been arrested.

Meanwhile, authorities in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari announced operations against what they described as sabotage networks allegedly preparing bombings and attacks before being intercepted by intelligence services