World

'Dead' man found ALIVE inside funeral home as medics miraculously find him breathing

A man was reportedly declared dead at a hospital in Brazil, but was rushed back to the healthcare facility after funeral home staff found him still breathing and detected vital signs, according to reports

A pensioner who had been pronounced dead was rushed back to hospital after funeral home workers discovered he was still alive.

Juraci Rosa Alves was taken to hospital on Saturday May 16 where a doctor pronounced him dead from respiratory failure. A funeral home was subsequently contacted and the 88 year old was transferred there for routine post-death procedures.

However, while staff were preparing his body for the wake, they noticed signs of life. Jacqueline Brogiato, the funeral home’s technical nursing supervisor, told local media: “Our funeral staff carried out the transfer as a standard procedure.

“When they arrived at the laboratory and placed him on the table, they noticed unusual movement in the abdomen and were unsure whether it was breathing.

“At first, when we realised there were vital signs, our only thought was to save him. So I carried out the initial care, trying to clear his airway until emergency services arrived.

“Everything happened very quickly – when they arrived, the doctor immediately began sedating and intubating him so he could be taken to the healthcare facility.”

Mr Alves was transported to a hospital in Presidente Prudente, Brazil, where he remained as of yesterday.

A relative told local media: “My aunt had gone home to prepare the paperwork and the clothes my grandad was going to wear for the wake. When they arrived there, my aunt and my cousin thought the delay seemed strange.

“Then my cousin was told he had been taken to the funeral home to prepare the body and, once there, the funeral home staff noticed vital signs – he was breathing and moving.”

Authorities were notified and have logged the incident as “failure to provide assistance”. They have not disclosed the identity of the medical practitioner who pronounced Alves deceased.

Alves, who lives in Emilianópolis, continues to be intubated in intensive care in a serious yet stable state.

Carlos Alberto Carneiro, representing the family, informed local press: “According to the hospital currently treating Mr Juraci, the situation may have worsened his condition due to his age and the amount of time he spent without proper care and treatment.”

The initial hospital in Presidente Bernardes has announced it will conduct an internal investigation into the matter and remains “available to provide any necessary clarification”.