World

Family pay tribute to 'loving husband and father' killed in horror shark attack

The man killed on Saturday (May 16) has now been identified as a dad-of-two with two young daughters, aged three and only four months – his heartbroken family have paid tribute to him

The family of a man who was killed after an attack by a great white shark have paid tribute to their “one-of-a-kind gentleman”.

Steven “Mattas” Mattaboni, 38, was set upon by the huge 16-footer near a beloved Australian holiday destination on Saturday.

The father-of-two had travelled to Rottnest Island, close to Perth, Western Australia, when the shark viciously attacked him. After Steven’s death, his wife Shirene recalled him as a caring and devoted father to their two daughters, aged two and four months.

She said: “Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven, known affectionately to his mates as ‘Mattas’. An avid fisherman and spearfisherman, who lived and breathed the ocean, he was always in tune with the sea. He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back.

“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”

As the mum-of-two mum comes to terms with losing her “soulmate,” loved ones have launched a GoFundMe campaign to support Shirene and the couple’s young daughters. By Monday, May 18, the fundraiser had raised more than £86,000.

The organiser of the appeal described Steven as “truly one of a kind.”

“A loving husband, devoted father, and an incredibly kind and genuine man who brought warmth and happiness to those around him,” the fundraiser page stated.

“Above all else, he absolutely adored his three girls and was the most amazing dad.”

Steven was described as having numerous talents and played footy for the Perth suburb of Kingsley.

His club subsequently paid tribute to him and described Steven as a “much loved friend to many within our club community.” Their statement added: “Mattas was one of the most genuine people you could meet.

“He had a smile and presence that could light up a room, and he will be remembered fondly by all who had the privilege of knowing him. Our thoughts and love are with his family and friends during this incredibly difficult time, especially his wife Shirene and their two young daughters.”

Sergeant Michael Wear, an officer leading the investigation at Rottnest Island, said: “His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event. The friends of the victim retrieved his body from the water, they gave him CPR on the way back in and came straight into the Geordie Bay jetty.”

WA Police Minister Reece Whitby paid tribute to their efforts, telling the ABC: “I want to acknowledge the diver’s friends who played a critical role in doing the best they could to bring him back to shore. My heart and thoughts go out to the man’s family, friends and loved ones.”

A number of great white shark sightings were reported on the WA government’s SharkSmart website around the same time of the attack.

On Sunday (May 17), fishermen filmed the moment a shark circled their small boat not far from where Mr Mattaboni had been mauled.

“That’s a big shark, man,” one boatie said.

Fisheries officers spent Sunday searching the area for the shark.

During a press conference following the tragedy, police commended the actions of the three friends who tried to save the beloved father and husband after the attack.

Mr Mattaboni’s death follows a horror summer of shark attacks on Australia’s east coast, with three attacked in as many days in Sydney.

On January 18, a 12-year-old boy was rushed to hospital with critical injuries after he was attacked while swimming in Sydney Harbour’s Shark Bay. The next day, an 11-year-old’s surfboard was bitten at Dee Why beach, hours before a man was attacked at nearby Manly and taken to hospital in critical condition.

Then, on January 20, a fourth surfer “sustained a wound to his chest” after a shark bit his board 186 miles up the coast.

Surf Life Saving WA reported that a 16ft great white shark had been sighted at approximately 10am on Saturday around the time of the incident. An inquiry into the fatality has been opened.

Rottnest Island is a beloved tourist hotspot in Western Australia. Steven’s death marks the first deadly shark attack in the state since March last year.

There have been roughly 1,300 shark attacks documented in Australia since records began in 1791. Around 260 of these have proved fatal.

You can donate to the Mattaboni family’s fundraiser here.