World

Arab League holds emergency meeting over Sudan’s accusations against Ethiopia

The Arab League held an emergency meeting in Cairo on Sunday to discuss Sudanese accusations regarding Ethiopian attacks on Sudan.

The session of permanent representatives was chaired by Fawzia bint Abdullah Zainal in her capacity as head of the League Council’s 165th session.

According to Egyptian media, the meeting was convened following a request submitted by Sudan to discuss what it described as Ethiopian attacks targeting the country.

Zainal said she hoped the crisis would be resolved in a manner that preserves Sudan’s unity, sovereignty and stability, stressing that “the stability of Sudan is an Arab priority”.

She also warned against developments that could further escalate tensions and negatively affect regional security.

During the meeting, Sudan’s ambassador to Cairo and representative to the Arab League, Emad Adawi, said Sudan had been subjected to “repeated attacks from Ethiopia”.

The emergency talks come days after Sudan recalled its ambassador from Ethiopia for consultations, accusing Addis Ababa of involvement in a drone strike targeting Khartoum International Airport.

Sudanese Foreign Minister Mohi El-Din Salem said earlier this month that Khartoum possessed evidence linking Ethiopian territory to the attack.

Ethiopia has rejected the allegations, with its foreign ministry describing the accusations as baseless.