News Transfer

Alonso breaks silence over whether Enzo Fernandez will join Man City from Chelsea

20 Aug 2026 16:04 BST |
4 min read

Xabi Alonso, Enzo Fernandez, Chelsea
© IMAGO
Suraj Radia

Make us your Google favourite

Xabi Alonso has responded to questions about the uncertainty surrounding Enzo Fernandez’s future amid fears that Manchester City could still launch a big-money approach for the midfielder this summer.

Article continues under the video

Fernandez has been largely unsettled at Chelsea after the club missed out on European football for this season and the 25-year-old is thought to be keen to leave for a reunion with Enzo Maresca at City.

Chelsea are adamant that Fernandez will remain at the club after seeing their self-imposed deadline last week pass without City meeting the asking price of £120 million (€140m) for the Argentina international.

However, City are still expected to try and make a deal work but Alonso refused to be drawn into speculation when asked whether Fernandez would still be a Chelsea player after the transfer window closes.

“Enzo is a Chelsea player, he’s a top, top player, he’s training really well since he started ten days ago with the team. He’s very integrated and we’re very happy with him and he’s getting ready for [the first game of the season on] Monday,” Alonso said.

When asked whether Fernandez has said if he wants to stay at Chelsea, Alonso was avoidant, saying: “He’s training really well and with a good attitude and that’s what we want. He’s trying his best to perform for the kick-off of the Premier League.”

Enzo Fernandez: Chelsea braced for Man City approach as transfer window ramps up

Although Chelsea are determined not to sell Fernandez so late into the transfer window, City are still hoping they can finance a deal and sign a player whom Maresca is desperate to have in his side.

Enzo Maresca and Enzo Fernandez enjoyed a strong relationship at Chelsea.
© IMAGO – Enzo Maresca and Enzo Fernandez enjoyed a strong relationship at Chelsea.

City have already broken their transfer record once this summer with the €135m signing of Elliot Anderson and they would likely need to eclipse this sum to convince Chelsea to part ways with Fernandez.

Having seen Rodri and Tijjani Reijnders leave for a combined total of around €120m, City will reportedly look to bring in two midfielders before the transfer window closes, particularly with interest also emerging in Nico Gonzalez from Newcastle.

City are also in advanced talks to sign Ayyoub Bouaddi from Lille for €90m, while Roma’s Manu Kone is also thought to be on the club’s shortlist as an alternative to Fernandez.

The club’s transfer budget could be significantly boosted by the sale of Savinho for around €100m, as well as Omar Marmoush, with both players wanted by Tottenham, although replacements will be sought for them too.

Related stories:

Fabrizio Romano Transfer News: Baleba expected at Man Utd, Martinelli shock, Alvarez latest

Transfer Rumours: Emmanuel Emegha talks as Man Utd in striker domino

Premier League summer transfers 2026: All the Done Deals

𝗪𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗩𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗢𝗦/𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗘..