News

Premier League chief exec admits Man City's 'hugely complex' 115 rule-break charges case is 'taking longer than expected' – leaving fans fuming at new season going ahead with no verdict

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has admitted it has taken ‘longer than expected’ for a verdict on their charges against Man City for alleged breaches of financial rules.

Man City, who strongly deny wrongdoing, were charged in February 2023 by the Premier League with a hearing concluding in December 2024.

A three-man panel was tasked with considering the evidence, with the initial expectation a verdict would have been reached on the case within months.

The case now looks set to loom over another season, with the 2026-27 Premier League campaign beginning on Friday.

Speaking to the BBC, Masters described the case as ‘hugely complex’ as he defended the length of time taken to reach a conclusion.

Masters, however, acknowledged frustration as he admitted the case had taken ‘longer than expected.’

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters admitted it has taken ‘longer than expected’ for a verdict over Man City’s alleged breaches of financial rules

The charges relate to alleged breaches which took place at the club between 2009 and 2018

The charges relate to alleged breaches which took place at the club between 2009 and 2018

Man City's legal team attend the start of the hearing in September 2024, which concluded in December that year

Man City’s legal team attend the start of the hearing in September 2024, which concluded in December that year 

‘As you know I can’t really pass any real comment or provide anything new today on it,’ Masters said.

‘I do accept it is taking longer than expected and I understand that people want to find out as soon as possible what’s going on, but I simply can’t provide that.

Our rules are very clear, we have to follow the process and there is only one real clear route through, which is to allow that process to reach its natural conclusion.

‘I mean it’s hugely complex. The hearing took 12 weeks. It has taken longer than expected.’

In a separate interview with Sky Sports, the Premier League chief executive rejected the idea he was ‘angry’ with the commission over the length of time taken.

‘No, I’ve already said the commission need the time and the space to do their job,’ Masters added.

‘In the end, the Premier League’s role is to put allegations, if the evidence is strong enough, in front of an independent commission and allow that commission to establish the truth, and that shouldn’t be qualified by the amount of time it takes to get there.’

The Premier League accused Man City of multiple breaches of financial rules and of failing to co-operate with a subsequent investigation.

Should Man City, who strongly refute any wrongdoing, be found guilty of some of the more serious charges, they could be hit with huge financial penalties, points deductions or even relegation.

Man City’s alleged rule breaking is claimed to have taken place over a 14-year period. 

The original 115 charges have been extended to a total of 130 after an administration issue. 

The club are accused of failing to report accurate financial information for nine seasons stretching from 2009-10 to 2017-18, as well as failing to provide full details of former manager Roberto Mancini’s pay between 2009-10 and 2012-13.

They are also alleged to have failed to provide full details of money paid to players between 2010-11 and 2015-16 and failing to co-operate with the probe from 2018 to 2023.

Fans have reacted with anger at Masters’ comments, with the long-running case still yet to be concluded heading into a new season, where Man City will be among the favourites to win the title.

‘It’s so far beyond a joke now as to make a complete mockery of the whole competition,’ one fan wrote.

‘Absolute joke – one rule for the likes of City and Chelsea and one rule for everyone else,’ a second added.

A third wrote: ‘Hearing finished in December 2024… its August 2026…. realistically its never going to conclude is it?

‘So same response as about 2 years ago. Absolute farce now by the @premieleague,’ added another.

One fan accused the Premier League of attempting to sweep the case under the rug, while others highlighted that other clubs have been charged for financial breaches and verdicts reached within the time the Man City case has been ongoing.

𝗪𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗩𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗢𝗦/𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗘..