News

Little League World Series plunged into chaos as Nicaragua players are BLOCKED from entering the US

Two young Nicaraguan baseball players were denied entry to the United States to play in the Little League World Series, it has emerged.

Just weeks after the World Cup was embroiled in controversy surrounding President Trump’s border policy, the two players did not travel to Williamsport, Pennsylvania ‘due to individual circumstances regarding visa travel documentation.’

No one over the age of 12 can compete in the Little League World Series, which sees 20 teams from across the globe battle for youth baseball supremacy.

Ministerio Sobre Las Alas Del Aguila LL, from Leon in Nicaragua, are representing the Latin America Region in this year’s tournament. 

But, as reported by Sportico, they are being forced to compete with only 12 players on their roster after the visa issues. It is unclear why the players could not travel to the US but Nicaragua kicked off their Little League World Series campaign with a win over the Dominican Republic on Wednesday. 

‘We work closely with the US Department of State to support our participants and their travel,’ Little League said in a statement. 

Two Nicaraguan players were denied entry to the USA to play in the Little League World Series

Ministerio Sobre Las Alas Del Aguila LL, from Leon, are representing the Latin America Region

Ministerio Sobre Las Alas Del Aguila LL, from Leon, are representing the Latin America Region

‘We are pleased that 12 of our players from Nicaragua were able to obtain the appropriate documentation and understand the disappointment for their two teammates not able to make the trip… no further details are currently available.’

Nicaragua is not subject to a travel ban to the United States but earlier this year, it was added to a list of countries subject to new restrictions that typically require visitors to pay a deposit to travel to America.

‘Any citizen or national traveling on a passport issued by one of these countries, who is found otherwise eligible for a B1/B2 visa, must post a bond for $5,000, $10,000, or $15,000. The amount is determined at the time of the visa interview,’ the State Department says on its website.

It is not the first time in Trump’s second term that sporting events have been disrupted by travel chaos. 

The World Cup was blighted by controversy after around a dozen members of the Iranian delegation and a Somali referee were among those denied entry.

Last summer, meanwhile, Little League International confirmed a baseball team from Venezuela failed to secure visas for the Senior Baseball World Series.

Ahead of the World Baseball Classic in March, meanwhile, eight members of the Cuban delegation were unable to enter the United States.

𝗪𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗩𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗢𝗦/𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗘..