News

Sydney Swans players to learn fate today after club board held crisis meeting as alleged sexual assault investigation continues

The Sydney Swans will soon announce punishments for the AFL players who breached club standards and behaviours at a Melbourne hotel.

As Victoria Police continue to investigate allegations of sexual assault, the Swans board met on Tuesday night. 

It comes after four players spoke with the club officials at separate locations across Sydney on Tuesday afternoon.

Seven News reported on Wednesday that sanctioned players are expected to receive two-match bans, or possibly more. 

Sydney will run the penalties past the AFL first. Given the seriousness of the crisis and the strongly-worded club media release, suspensions appear inevitable.

‘We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and any actions we take are independent of this,’ the Swans said.

‘The club believes the players are in serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards, and it is appropriate to take firm action and highlight that any sanction we impose relates solely to those breaches.

‘The club also acknowledges that these serious allegations impact others and their wellbeing must be paramount.’

The Sydney Swans board on Tuesday night to decide penalties for players who breached club standards and behaviours

Seven News reported on Wednesday that sanctioned players will cop two match bans. Pictured is Isaac Heeney

Seven News reported on Wednesday that sanctioned players will cop two match bans. Pictured is Isaac Heeney

Earlier on Tuesday night, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon released a statement calling for more respect around the sexual assault allegations. 

The police investigation and the coming club penalties relate to events that occurred early on Monday morning at East Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel.

Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were ‘deeply concerning’.

‘While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport,’ Dillon said.

‘The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.’

Dillon took aim at widespread commentary about what the allegations would mean for the Swans, who are guaranteed second spot and two home finals.

‘Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season,’ Dillon said.

‘Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us.

Chad Warner (pictured), Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been widely named as the Swans players involved in the inquiry. None have publicly been accused of wrongdoing

Chad Warner (pictured), Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been widely named as the Swans players involved in the inquiry. None have publicly been accused of wrongdoing

Riley Bice was among the Swans players caught up in the saga

Riley Bice was among the Swans players caught up in the saga

James Jordon could also be sidelined

James Jordon could also be sidelined 

‘As a sport, and as an industry, we are clear about the standards we expect and the values we stand for and the need to uphold them. 

‘Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met.’

Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel, near the MCG, on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their win over Essendon at the MCG, guaranteeing them second spot with one game left before the finals.

Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been widely named in media reports as the players involved in the inquiry.

Daily Mail does not suggest any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, just that they spoke to police about the alleged incident.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

𝗪𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗩𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗢𝗦/𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗘..