At least 24 people have died in a suspected suicide bomb attack on a train carrying security personnel and their families in the southwestern province of Balochistan in Pakistan
Dozens have been injured and killed in a suspected suicide bomb attack on a train carrying Pakistani security personnel and their families.
The explosion killed at least 24 people and injured 70 in the southwestern province of Balochistan on Sunday, officials said, in the latest major attack claimed by separatist militants.
The follows other strikes on trains, security forces and infrastructure in the mineral-rich province that borders Iran and Afghanistan, where Pakistan has launched counterinsurgency operations after some of the deadliest violence in years.
The separatist militant group Baloch Liberation Army, or BLA, said it carried out the attack and described it as a suicide bombing. That claim is yet to be independently verified.
The shuttle train was carrying passengers from Quetta’s cantonment area to connect with the Jaffar Express long-distance train when the blast struck near a railway track in the provincial capital, Pakistan’s railways ministry said in a statement.
The explosion derailed the engine and three coaches, while two coaches overturned, the ministry said, adding that security forces had cordoned off the area and rescue operations were under way.
A security official said an explosives-laden vehicle hit one of the train’s bogies in a residential area, and that some of those killed were residents of a nearby apartment building.
Images from the scene showed burnt-out vehicles, damaged residential buildings, twisted metal and debris scattered near the railway track, with smoke rising from the wreckage.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned what he called a “heinous bomb explosion” in a post on social media website X. He expressed condolences for the victims’ families and said the nation stood with the people of Balochistan.
In March 2025, BLA militants hijacked the Jaffar Express train, taking hundreds hostage before a military operation ended the day-long standoff. The military said 21 hostages, four troops and all 33 attackers were killed.
Earlier this year, Pakistani forces killed 145 militants in a 40-hour operation after coordinated attacks across Balochistan left nearly 50 people dead, provincial officials said.
This is a Breaking News story. You’ll be more likely to see our stories when any big news breaks in future by simply by clicking this link. You can also join The Mirror’s WhatsApp Community or follow us on Google News, Flipboard, Apple News, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads – or visit The Mirror homepage.

