Donald Trump said he would not attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, because he has to stay in Washington for government business – and his “love for the United States”. The US President had already hinted at his possible no-show at the family event earlier this week – but on Friday, May 22, he confirmed he would not be among the attendees this weekend.
He wrote on his social media platform Truth Social: “While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon-to-be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so.
“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina! President DONALD J. TRUMP”.
Mr Trump told reporters on Thursday that Mr Trump Jr. wanted his father to attend, but that it was going to be a “small private affair.”
The US leader also said then he would try to make the wedding, but the timing was bad for him.
He explained: “I have a thing called Iran and other things.”
The Trump administration has been engaged in diplomatic talks mediated by Pakistan aimed at securing a deal to end the war with Iran that the US and Israel began on February 28.
Mr Trump had originally planned to spend the night at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, on Friday after an event in New York’s Hudson Valley, but he will now return to the White House, according to a change in his public schedule released on Friday afternoon.
Mr Trump Jr. was previously married to Vanessa, a former model and actress, for 12 years, and they have five children together.
Vanessa filed for a divorce in 2018. He was later engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, a US television personality, until they separated in 2024.

