A video posted by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir showing detained Gaza flotilla activists kneeling in front of Israeli law enforcement officers with their hands restrained has triggered international condemnation and a wave of outrage online.
Israeli forces intercepted all 77 ships participating in the latest flotilla mission, the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF), organisers said on Tuesday, more than a day after the interceptions began.
According to flotilla organisers, the Israeli navy deployed a “fully equipped naval fleet” to stop and board the vessels before detaining hundreds of international volunteers.
Politicians and social media users are accusing Israel of humiliating civilians intercepted while attempting to reach Gaza.
The backlash came after Israeli forces intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, a civilian aid mission that seeks to deliver aid to Gaza and break Israel’s siege of the enclave.
CLICK FOLLOW: TO FOLLOW US
Sign up to get the latest insights and analysis on
Israel-Palestine, alongside Turkey Unpacked and other eSPORTY
Israeli authorities detained activists aboard the vessels and brought them to Ashdod port, prompting criticism from politicians and rights advocates.
International officials condemn footage
The footage spurred reactions across Europe online.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the treatment seen in the footage in a post on X, calling the images “unacceptable” and saying it was “inadmissible” that demonstrators, including Italian citizens, were subjected to treatment that “violates human dignity”.
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani echoed those concerns in a post on X, saying Israel’s ambassador to Italy had been summoned over the handling of detainees.
The interceptions of the flotillas in international waters had already drawn criticism from several governments and rights groups, but Israel’s treatment of the detainees amplified the condemnations.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot also responded on X, expressing France’s “indignation” over Ben Gvir’s actions, saying Israel’s ambassador would be summoned for an explanation. Barrot added that French nationals aboard “must be treated with respect and released as quickly as possible”.
Irish MEP Barry Andrews also responded on X, highlighting that one of those shown in the footage was an Irish citizen and calling for sanctions against both Ben Gvir and Israel.
Irish lawmaker Paul Murphy also identified the Irish woman shown in the footage as Caitriona Graham, saying: “This is how our citizens are being treated by Israel,” while accusing Israel of abducting activists in international waters and subjecting detainees to “humiliation, stress positions, aggression and violence”.
British MP Zarah Sultana also joined criticism online, writing: “Zionism is racism.”
Backlash grows within Israel
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar was among officials criticising Ben Gvir online.
In a post on X, Sa’ar accused the national security minister of knowingly harming Israel through a “disgraceful display”, saying he had undone diplomatic and military efforts carried out by Israeli officials and soldiers. “No, you are not the face of Israel,” Sa’ar wrote.
Opposition leader Yair Lapid also criticised Ben Gvir in a post on X, describing the footage as a “terrorist attack” carried out by the national security minister. Lapid said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ultimately bore responsibility for bringing “a convicted criminal into the government”.
However, Netanyahu defended Israel’s interception of the flotilla on X, saying the country had “every right” to prevent what he described as “provocative flotillas of Hamas terrorist supporters” from reaching Gaza.
He added that Ben Gvir’s handling of detained activists was “not in line with Israel’s values and norms”.
Palestinian officials condemn the footage
Palestinian voices also joined the criticism online. The official X account of the Palestinian Mission to the United Nations reacted to the footage, writing: “Can you imagine the terror and horror Israel inflicts on Palestinian children, women, and men in detention centres when the cameras are away?”
The account described the treatment shown in the footage as “Israeli terrorism”.
Palestinian politician Mustafa Barghouti, meanwhile, wrote on X that activists aboard the Freedom Flotilla had been “taken hostage in international waters”, describing it as a violation of international law, and added: “When accountability is absent crimes continue.”
Journalists condemn footage online
British journalist Owen Jones also criticised reactions to the footage in a post on X, accusing some supporters of Israel condemning Ben Gvir’s actions of being more concerned about the treatment of “white Westerners” than Palestinians.
Jones argued outrage only intensified when Western activists were affected, adding: “They don’t care if it’s Palestinians being tortured and massacred.”
American journalist Max Blumenthal also commented on X, saying Ben Gvir “enjoys scenes of the Israeli government’s proudly promoted torture of citizens of Italy and other European nations” following the detention of flotilla activists. Blumenthal concluded his post by writing: “This is Zionism.”
