World

Outbreak of rare Ebola’s global risk low but worries mount about DR Congo spread

The new outbreak of a rare Ebola type in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda poses low global risk, the World Health Organisation has said, but responders on the ground described being underprotected and undertrained for a rapidly spreading virus with no approved medicine or vaccine.

The risk assessment came as the leader of the WHO team in DR of Congo said on Wednesday that the outbreak, which has led to 134 suspected deaths, could last at least another two months as aid efforts intensified on to stem the spread.

The WHO has declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, requiring a coordinated response.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus speaks to the media following an emergency committee at its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland (Salvatore Di Nolfi/AP)

On Tuesday it expressed concern over the “scale and speed” of the outbreak.

Worried residents have reported rising prices for face masks and disinfectants following the outbreak of the rare type of Ebola, known as the Bundibugyo virus, which spread undetected for weeks following the first known death as authorities tested for a more common type of Ebola which came up negative, health experts and aid workers said.

There are no approved medicines or vaccines for the Bundibugyo virus.

So far 51 cases have been confirmed in DR of Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, as well as two in Uganda, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.

Beyond that, there are almost 600 suspected cases and suspected deaths, he said.

“We know that the scale of the epidemic is much larger,” he said.

“We expect those numbers to keep increasing.”

DR of Congo was expecting shipments from the US and UK of an experimental vaccine for different types of Ebola, developed by researchers at Oxford, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, a virus expert at the National Institute of Biomedical Research, told reporters on Tuesday.

“We will administer the vaccine and see who develops the disease,” he said.

A US national who tested positive for the virus in DR of Congo arrived in Berlin on Wednesday for treatment in a special isolation ward at the Charite hospital.

Congo Ebola
People offload a shipment of more than 15 tonnes of supplies donated by Unicef as part of the response to the Ebola outbreak at Bunia National Airport (Moses Sawasawa/AP)

A “comprehensive examination” was taking place to determine how to proceed with treatment, German Health Ministry spokesman Martin Elsasser said.

He said he would not comment on the patient’s condition.

The German authorities and the US CDC have not identified the patient.

Separately, the Christian aid organisation Serge said in a statement that one of its doctors — which it identified as American medical missionary Dr Peter Stafford — has been evacuated from DR of Congo “and is receiving specialised medical treatment” after he developed Ebola symptoms.

Health experts said that the delayed detection of the virus, large movements of population in the affected areas, as well as the pre-existing humanitarian crisis, complicated the response.

Parts of DR of Congo are in the hands of armed rebels, hampering the delivery of aid.

Photos from Congo and Uganda as WHO declare health emergency over Ebola
Aid workers set up an Ebola treatment centre in Bunia, DR of Congo (Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne/AP)

DR of Congo said the first person died from the virus on April 24 in Bunia, but the confirmation did not come for weeks.

The body was repatriated to the Mongbwalu health zone, a mining area with a large population.

“That caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,” said DR of Congo’s health minister Samuel Roger Kamba.

Dr Anne Ancia, the head of the WHO team in DR of Congo, said authorities still have not identified “patient zero”.

There was a long road ahead, she said, adding that cuts in funding had “a marked detrimental effect on humanitarian actors”.

US secretary of state Marco Rubio told reporters on Tuesday that the Trump administration would “lean into” Ebola response efforts with a priority on funding 50 emergency clinics in affected areas.

Photos from Congo and Uganda as WHO declare health emergency over Ebola
People offload a shipment of more than 15 tonnes of supplies donated by Unicef at Bunia National Airport (Moses Sawasawa/AP)

The US has so far contributed 13 million dollars (£9.7 million) to the effort and Mr Rubio said more would be coming.

In Bunia, the site of the first known death, schools and churches remained open on Wednesday, and some residents were wearing masks in the street.

Residents said that masks have become harder to find and that some disinfectants previously sold for 2,500 Congolese francs now cost up to 10,000 francs (£3.25).

“It’s truly sad and painful because we’ve already been through a security crisis, and now Ebola is here too,” said Justin Ndasi, a resident of Bunia.

“We have to protect ourselves to avoid this epidemic.”

Trish Newport, emergency programme manager from Doctors Without Borders aid group said that her team in Bunia identified suspected cases over the weekend in the Salama hospital, where there is no isolation ward.

Congo Ebola
A health worker uses a thermometer to screen a man by the roadside in Bunia, DR of Congo (Moses Sawasawa/AP)

They tried, unsuccessfully, to place them in another health facility in Bunia.

“The team called around to other health facilities to see if they had isolations,” she said.

“Every health facility they called said, ‘We’re full of suspects cases. We don’t have any space’.

“This gives you a vision of how crazy it is right now.”

“We hope for the proper triage and isolation facilities to be installed today, and if that doesn’t happen, we will be completely overwhelmed,” Dr Richard Lokudu, medical director of the Mongbwalu General Hospital told the AP.

“The challenge is that the staff are not trained to handle suspected cases. We are also understaffed.

“The hospital has its current staff, yes, but if the cases are confirmed, the hospital is truly at risk given the large number that could arrive

“We have no protection.”