World

US-Iran LIVE Updates: Trump says US halted ‘planned’ attack on Iran after appeals from Gulf leaders

Updated on: May 19, 2026 6:58:27 AM IST

US-Iran LIVE Updates: A total of 55 commodity vessels crossed the strategic waterway between May 11 and 17,

US-Iran LIVE Updates: US President Donald Trump said that he is holding off the scheduled attacks on Iran at the request of the leaders of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. However, he said that he has instructed the US military to remain prepared for a full-scale attack on Iran if a deal is not reached.

This comes after President Trump turned down Iran’s fresh peace proposal to stop ongoing West Asia crisis, saying that it it falls short of expectations and does not represent any meaningful progress towards a deal, reported Axios, citing a senior US official and a source briefed on the matter.

Iran remains defiant

Iran remained defiant in statements issued through state media after Trump’s announcement, warning the US and its allies against making any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past.”

Iran’s top joint military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces are “ready to pull the trigger” in the event of any renewed US attack, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency.

Update on Hormuz

Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the start of the Middle East conflict after hitting a wartime low.

A total of 55 commodity vessels crossed the strategic waterway between May 11 and 17, according to data from Kpler, marking a sharp increase from the previous week, when just 19 vessels crossed.

Israel-Lebanon strike

Israeli strikes have killed more than 3,000 people in Lebanon since the start of the war between Hezbollah and Israel on March 2, the health ministry said, after an April 17 ceasefire failed to stop the fighting.

“The total cumulative toll of the aggression from March 2 to May 18 is now as follows: 3,020 martyrs and 9,273 wounded,” the ministry said, with 211 people aged 18 and under and 116 healthcare workers among the dead.

…Read More

This comes after President Trump turned down Iran’s fresh peace proposal to stop ongoing West Asia crisis, saying that it it falls short of expectations and does not represent any meaningful progress towards a deal, reported Axios, citing a senior US official and a source briefed on the matter.

Iran remains defiant

Iran remained defiant in statements issued through state media after Trump’s announcement, warning the US and its allies against making any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past.”

Iran’s top joint military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces are “ready to pull the trigger” in the event of any renewed US attack, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency.

Update on Hormuz

Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the start of the Middle East conflict after hitting a wartime low.

A total of 55 commodity vessels crossed the strategic waterway between May 11 and 17, according to data from Kpler, marking a sharp increase from the previous week, when just 19 vessels crossed.

Israel-Lebanon strike

Israeli strikes have killed more than 3,000 people in Lebanon since the start of the war between Hezbollah and Israel on March 2, the health ministry said, after an April 17 ceasefire failed to stop the fighting.

“The total cumulative toll of the aggression from March 2 to May 18 is now as follows: 3,020 martyrs and 9,273 wounded,” the ministry said, with 211 people aged 18 and under and 116 healthcare workers among the dead.

Follow all the updates here:

May 19, 2026 6:58:26 AM IST

US Iran war news LIVE: Oil prices fall after Trump calls off Iran strike

US Iran war news LIVE: Oil prices reduced after US President Donald Trump called off planned strikes on Iran following an appeal by his Gulf allies.

West Texas Intermediate for July dropped below $103 a barrel, after rising 3.3% on Monday, while Brent closed above $112.

May 19, 2026 6:53:16 AM IST

US Iran war news LIVE: Trump likely to meet top national security team today, says report

US Iran war news LIVE: Even though US President Donald Trump delayed the strikes against Iran following request from the premiers of Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the Republican leader is expected to meet his top national security team in the Situation Room on Tuesday, Axios reported.

May 19, 2026 6:33:48 AM IST

US-Iran LIVE Updates: Have vessels been moving through Hormuz? What has traffic been like?

US-Iran LIVE Updates: Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was reportedly slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the beginning of the conflict in the Middle East.

Between May 11 and 17, a total of 55 commodity vessels crossed the strategic waterway, according to data from Kpler, marking a significant increase from the previous week, when just 19 vessels passed through the Strait, AFP reported.