World

Thousands of Palestinian patients remain stranded in Gaza awaiting treatment abroad

The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said only 29 patients requiring treatment abroad were able to leave through the Rafah crossing with Egypt on Friday.

The ministry added that just 20 patients had been transferred to hospitals in Jordan the previous day.

“The small number of departing patients does not meet the urgent need for travel for those on the lists who are suffering from difficult health and humanitarian conditions, especially given the worsening health crisis in the Gaza Strip,” the ministry said in a statement on Telegram.

“The Ministry of Health calls on the relevant authorities to expedite the medical evacuation procedures for these patients and ensure their safe arrival at specialized hospitals outside the Gaza Strip.”