Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander Abu Lulu had reportedly been released from prison and “returned to fighting on the battlefield”, while the RSF denied the reports and described claims of his release as “completely baseless”.
Nine sources told Reuters that a Sudanese paramilitary commander arrested late last year after widespread international outrage over videos showing him executing unarmed civilians in El Fasher had been released from prison and returned to active combat.
Two of the sources identified the commander as Abu Lulu.
A military officer told Reuters that RSF officers had called for Abu Lulu to return to the battlefield to boost the morale of fighters involved in heavy clashes there.
Reuters said it had spoken to 13 sources aware of Abu Lulu’s reported release, including three RSF commanders, an RSF officer, a relative of Abu Lulu, a military officer close to the RSF leadership, and seven other sources linked to the group or familiar with its field operations.
The Rapid Support Forces issued a statement on Monday denying that Abu Lulu had been released, saying he would face a special court alongside others accused of violations during the attack on El Fasher.
The statement said: “Claims about Abu Lulu’s release are completely baseless and amount to lies and misinformation. Abu Lulu and the other suspects accused of violations have remained in custody since their arrest and have never left prison.”
The RSF detained Abu Lulu in late October 2025, days after what Reuters described as its “bloody takeover” of El Fasher, a major city in North Darfur state.
Several videos circulated online appearing to show him executing unarmed people during the assault. He later became known as the “Butcher of El Fasher”, a nickname referenced by the United Nations Security Council when it imposed sanctions on him on 24 February over alleged human rights violations.

